UNUSUAL CLEANING HACKS THAT WORK
Cleaning your home can be a tough and tedious task and it also takes a lot of time and effort . Once you clean your home it never stays that way for long.
We have found some unusual hack solutions to common cleaning problems ,which will not only clean your home, but also save you time .
Let’s enjoy these hack tips below and start using them in your home.
COKE – assistant 1
Do you like Coke ? It’s not only a yummy drink , but very natural , cleaning solution .
You’ll be surprised and amazed how helpful it can be for you . The carbonic acid which makes this soda so good at cleaning is still way less acidic than your stomach acids or even a lemon , according to Livestrong , meaning Coke won’t have the same effect on your stomach lining as it has on a dirty coin .
1. You have a gum on your hair – oh , terrible !
Coke can be used for many cleaning tasks at home . This liquid is able to do wonders . One of them is to remove gum from hair .
Getting gum in your hair usually ends in tears , a trip to the barber , and an unplanned hair cut . Instead of cutting your hair, you can easily remove it .
The method is simple enough :
- Take a Coca Cola soft drink and pour it on the portion hair with the bubble gum .
- Let it soak for 2 minutes and gently remove it from hair with your fingers and a wide-toothed comb .
- Use a paper towel to remove any remaining residue, then wash your hair with shampoo .
2. How to descale a kettle ? Let’s hot the coke !
With a can of Coke :
- Fill it with Coke and let it stay overnight . This will dissolve any scale hiding inside .
- You can then thoroughly scrub with a sponge and by the time you’re done . The kettle will look like a new one .
3. Toilet – disgusting to clean . Not yet ! Coke is here to help .
With a can of Coke :
- Pour a full can around the rim so that it fully coats the bowl
- Let it stay for at least an hour to allow the acids in the soda to break down the stains
- Scrub with a toilet brush
It is easy , isn’t it ?
Another easy way to clean the toilet is with self-made refreshing bombs . They will clean and deodorize your toilet and they are easy and inexpensive to be made on your own .
- Just mix baking soda , citric acid , dish soap and pull ice cube tray with this mixture .
- Let it dry for 2 hours .
- Push your bomb in the toilet .
And a green one clean solution :
grapefruit & salt :
Making a natural toilet cleaner is a simple and effective way to clean your toilet without harsh chemicals .
- Just cut a grapefruit in half
- Dip it in salt
- Scrub the toilet
I bet it smells great after!
4. Your tools are red rusted , don’t worry !
Rust is what happens when iron reacts with the oxygen in air or water . Most rust can be easily removed with a can of Coke . This one is probably the most fun method to rid your tools of rust . Citric acid is one of the ingredients of this bubbly drink that attacks rust . You can efficiently use this method if your metal is not severely rusted .
- Place your tools in a bowl or glass .
- Pour a stream of Coca-Cola over the metal and sodden .
- You’ll notice the rust coming off the metal .
- Shake the tools to remove any dripping cola .
- Wipe them and dry with a cotton cloth .
TOOTHPASTE – assistant 2
5. Clean the taps
Toothpaste has a gentle exfoliating effect that works as well on chrome taps as it does on teeth .
- Spread a piece of toothpaste on your chromes
- then wipe off with a dry cloth
- They are shiny again
6. Polish the headlights
Over the years your headlights have to take a lot of abuse from the outside world . Bugs , dust , and other debris in the air can help wear it out even faster and ruin your once clear headlight covering . Toothpaste can clean foggy headlights on your car almost as well as expensive products that claim to do the same thing . Toothpaste is a mild abrasive , so it naturally works well to polish things .
The Instructions are simple enough to follow :
- Start by applying a small amount of toothpaste on a cloth
- Rubbing in small circular motions , until done .
- Use wiping cloth to make your headlights shine .
7. Removing Stains from iron
Irons are appliances that are regularly used in the home . Your iron gradually takes on a dark color on the base , something that’s usually caused by ironing synthetic fabrics . Toothpaste can help remove any dark spots and let it look spotless for the next use .
- Put a little toothpaste on the bottom of a cold iron and wipe it with a clean cloth .
- Then turn on the steam, leave it for five minutes and let it stand .
- When it’s warm, polish the bottom of the iron with a cloth and remove any remnants of toothpaste
8. Removing strong odors
You have been chopping garlic or fish and can’t get rid of that pungent whiff on your fingertips ? You can easily deodorize them .
Washing your hands with toothpaste will neutralize the odour and let them smell fresh .
9. Make your silvers like new
There are many products available in the market for the purpose of cleaning silver . Some of these products contain a lot of chemicals . There is a much easier and cheaper method .
- Wet the Silver item in water
- Apply a small amount of fluoride toothpaste on the silver
- Rub the toothpaste into the silver slowly till toothpaste takes an almost black appearance
- Let it stay for a couple of minutes
- Wash away . The silver will show immediate improvement
- Dry with a cloth till silver shines
10. Remove permanent marker from dry erase boards
If someone has mistakenly used a permanent marker on a dry erase board , you can clean it ! Toothpaste is not just for brightening up your pearly whites . Use it to scrub off permanent ink .
- Apply the paste on wipe over the permanent marker (or use an old toothbrush to scrub off the ink)
- Scrub off the ink markings with the paste
- You achieve the goal
11. Clean your dirty tile joints
Tile joints and grout getting dirty and grimy . They can be cleaned effectively and naturally , easily with just a few simple tools . Bring your tile back to life . You’ll be amazed at how new it can look .
Your friend “toothpaste” will help again :
- Wash the area with water using your washcloth . This gets rid of any easy-to-remove particles and allows you to start
- Apply the paste to the grout and let it stay for a while before scrubbing it
- Use the toothbrush and scrub vigorously
- Rinse out with water
baking soda , lemon juice , vinegar & water :
- Make a simple mixture of baking soda , lemon juice , vinegar and water
- When the bubbling stops, apply it over flat tile surfaces
- Let it stay for a while
- Rub with a damp sponge or brush
- Wipe off any excess paste
12. Defog a mirror with toothpaste
A foggy mirror can be a big hassle when you need it to get ready after taking a shower .
You probably have standard materials on hand around the home to keep that mirror from becoming so foggy and useless until the room cools down again .
- A small amount of non-gel toothpaste ( Choose a toothpaste that does not contain abrasives such as baking soda to prevent scratches on the mirror ) spread over the mirror with a soft cloth .
- Wiped off just before turning on the hot shower or bathtub water
- This helps to keep the mirror from fogging up when the room becomes steamy .
13. Remove stains on clothes
14. Strengthen and speed up the growth of your nails
LEMON – assistant 3
15. Clean your cutting board
If you have wooden chopping boards you can treat them by using a few simple kitchen ingredients : lemon and salt . The procedure is simple . The combination of lemon and salt is a great one for removing stains and smells from plastic and wood cutting boards and can also be used to scour pots and pans .
- Sprinkle the cutting board with coarse salt .
- Use half a lemon with the cut side down , scour the surface and squeeze slightly to release the lemon juice as you go .
- Leave it for 15 minutes .
- Scrape the gray , dirty liquid into a small bowl using a bench scraper , and discard
- Give the surface a final rinse with a clean wet sponge .
- Everything is done and clean .
16. Coloured skin
Some foods can colour your hands while cutting or cooking . You will not succeed in washing your hands with simple dishwasher . Lemon juice is a common folk remedy to clean your skin .
- Mix an equal amount of water and lemon juice
- You can add a little amount of wash soap
- Wash your hands
- Your hands are whitened
You can use a lemon wash as exfoliant or a mask for your hands and face .
- Make your own facial wash from equal parts of water and lemon juice, honey and aloe
- Splash it onto your face in the morning the same way you’d use water to wash your face
17. Save The Pan
The worst part about cooking in your own kitchen is when you have a sink full of dirty dishes and ever burn something in a pan , covered in rust .
Cast iron skillets get better with age- as long as you’re consistently cooking with them , and as long as you don’t clean them with soap. If it’s been ages since you’ve actually used your skillet .
Reach for these three simple kitchen staples to help you return your pan to its former glory .
With dish soap , water and dryer sheet :
- Put dish soap into the pan
- Add a glass of water
- Cover with dryer sheet
- Leave in this way for an hour.
- Wipe the pan and swill it . That’s it .
Don’t make your sponges do all the hard work.
with lemon & salt scrub :
If your pan isn’t so dirty you can scrub it just with lemon and salt scrub . You’ll be amazed at how easily the burnt-on food lifts away .
coarse salt & oil ( vegetable , olive , even Crisco works) & potato :
- Sprinkle a hefty amount of course sea salt into the pan . I used about half a cup to start for my 12″ skillet and added more as needed .
- Cut your potato so that one half easily fits in the palm of your hand .
- Place the potato cut side down on top of the salted pan and start scrubbing .Work your way around the pan in a circular motion , apply a good amount of pressure .
- The potato is just moist enough to help the salt work off the rust . Continue to scrub the sides , edges , and the bottom of your pan . Don’t forget the handle !
- The salt will get very dirty very quickly . Depending on the condition of your pan , you may want to rinse the dirty salt out and start over with new , clean salt as you continue the process
- Once the pan is clean , rinse with water and dry
- Place the pan on the stove over low heat for a minute or so to help dry out any remaining moisture
Once dry , pour a small amount of oil in the pan and rub it in with a paper towel until the bottom and sides of the pan are coated . Use a clean paper towel to remove any excess oil . Keep the pan over low heat for 30 minutes .
18. Sink Disposal
salt & lemon : a great scrub for your kitchen sink
- Take one nice lemon
- Smash and roll it
- Cut it in half and save the other half for later use
- Add a bit of lemon to your tea , snip on each side for easy smooshing
- Sprinkle salt and scrub
- You can boil the rest of the lemon for good smell
19. Unclog your sink
The kitchen and bathroom sinks usually get blocked due to leftovers that we carelessly dump into them .
Homeowners are constantly trying to find natural alternatives to traditional cleaners and household products . Try using lemon juice . Lemon is a good option for clearing out clogged kitchen sinks . Since it is acidic in nature it helps to dissolve the waste .
- simply mix 1 cup of baking soda with a glass of lemon juice
- rush it down the sink
- pour a cup of boiling water to let the clog flow easily through the drainage pipe
20. Stink-Free Trash
Does your garbage leave a lingering odour ? The trash can is an ideal environment for bacteria and fungi due to the food residue that causes bad smells .
with lemon :
Lemons have many functions. Not only can it be used in food & drink, or to fight insects, but it is also a perfect way to mask unpleasant odours. Leave some skins at the bottom and you have another fresh-smelling garbage bag.
with soda :
Apart from using baking soda for cooking , you can easily combat odours with baking soda .
Everyone knows that an open box of baking soda can neutralize odors in the fridge . But you can also use baking soda to dispel foul odors in most smelly locations , including garbage cans , garbage disposals , dishwashers and litter boxes .
- Simply sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the container or appliance
- Leave it for several hours or overnight, then rinse or wipe clean with a damp sponge
- Gunk , germs , soap scum and grime will be cleaned away and your drains will smell fresh !
SODA – assistant 4
Tired of spending hundreds of dollars on fancy cleaning products ? The solution to many household cleaning and freshening problems is probably sitting in your cupboard right now—baking soda .
21. Greasy stove filter
The purpose of a range hood filter is to collect grease. When was the last time you peeked underneath them and checked out the exhaust fan filters? If it’s been a while or you’ve never done this. Over the time the filter may become so blocked with grease and ickiness that it loses its effectiveness, which is why it’s important to clean these filters periodically.
Thankfully , cleaning them isn’t hard at all ! You can clean the filters with just boiling water and baking soda .
- Remove the filters from the hood
- Boil the water . The hotter the water, the more effective
- Pour in baking soda into the hot water (you can add a dish soap )
- Put greasy filters in water . Make sure they’re completely covered
- Let them soak for about 10 minutes
- Scrub the filters after soaking with a non- abrasive scrub brush . Add more dish soap to your brush if required while you scrub
- Rinse the filters thoroughly in hot water and dry with a paper towel or clean cloth
Some hood filters can actually be washed in the dishwasher , but depending on how long it’s been since you’ve cleaned yours .
22. Silver cutlery and jewels – make them new again
- Fill a saucepan with water
- Wait to boil and put a ball of alluminium foil and soda … and mix
- In this consistence you can sop your silver cutlery, your jewels – rings , necklaces or whatever silver things you have
- Put inside and take off after a while . Every silver object will become brilliant , like a new
23. Steam clean your microwave
water & lemon :
- Heating up some water and peels of a lemon , or lemon juice or vinegar in a bowl inside your microwave to help you clean it with no scrubbing required
- Put peels of lemon and water for 5 minutes in a microwave safe bowl
- Get them out and let it cool
- wipe down the insides of your microwave with minimum time and effort.
24. Stove inside
Self-clean your stove before you go to cook thanksgiving dinner . For one , it’s super stinky . It also takes a really long time . There’s a better way to do it without harsh chemicals and no high-heat auto – cleaning . It takes a little time plus you most likely have everything you need to take on this project already in your cupboards .
baking soda & water past plus vinegar will clean naturally the inside of your stove :
- Empty the oven
- Make a baking soda paste . In a small bowl, mix a 1/2 cup of baking soda with a few tablespoons of water . Adjust the ratio of both as needed until you have a spreadable paste .
- Coat your oven . Spread the paste all over the interior surfaces of your oven , steering clear of the heating elements . Use gloves for this purpose . It helps you really get in there and coat the dirtiest nooks and crannies without having to worry about all that grime under your nails
- Spray a little vinegar . Put a little vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz everywhere in your oven . The vinegar will react with the baking soda and gently foam .
- Let it soak . Allow the baking soda mixture to rest for at least 12 hours , or overnight
- Wipe out the oven . Take a damp dish cloth and wipe out as much of the dried baking soda paste as you can . Use a plastic or silicone spatula to help scrape off the paste as needed . Add more water or vinegar as needed while wiping to really get the oven clean and shiny .
This is important part of your end of tenancy cleaning !
25. Dirty sink
A little green cleaning solution . It is possible to keep a sink clean and shiny without bleach or other toxic cleansers .
white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide , lemon , baking soda & salt mixture :
- Use a generous amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) , an inexpensive, non-toxic , mild abrasive . You can use it safely on enamel , stainless and fiberglass sinks .
- Baking soda is an abrasive – it has no bleaching properties , bleach it with lemon juice or lemon , it is very effective at removing rust stains .
- Add white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide
- Combine with salt , to make a paste for serious stains
- Leave the lemon juice to do its work . Leave it until dry , at least half an hour
- Scrub your sink
26. How to unclog a drain
Have a nasty, clogged drain and no drain cleaner on hand ? No worries – you can make your own using iodized salt and soda . They can work wonders on smelly and clogged drains .
salt & soda & vinegar :
- Mix a 1/2 cup of baking soda and a 1/4 cup of salt
- Stir until they are evenly mixed
- Pour the contents down the drain to cut through the toughest clogs
- Add warm vinegar . Heat 1 cup of it in the microwave or on the stovetop . Once it reaches simmering , pour it directly down the drain . Cover the drain immediately with a stopper , plug or even the bottom of the cup or glass you have used for mixing , because the baking soda will cause the vinegar to froth and bubble . Keep the reaction within the drain as much as possible for best results .
- Add boiling water to your mixture to push the mixture through the pipes
VINEGAR – assistant 5
27. Is your showerhead clogged ?
Limescale and mineral buildup can clog water passages over time and decrease water pressure .
- Take a resealable , strong , plastic bag that is large enough to fit around your showerhead .
- Fill it with vinegar
- Completely submerge the shower head . Use a rubber band to attach the bag to the shower head
- It can soak in the vinegar about 30 minutes
- Remove the bag and use an old toothbrush to scrub it clean
28. Remove mineral deposits
Do you live in an area with hard water ? If so , you’re constantly battling mineral deposits on your faucets .
- Thoroughly wet a towel with vinegar
- Wrap it tightly around your shower head to help remove mildew and mineral deposits
- Leave for an hour
- Brush away with a toothbrush and a sponge
29. How to remove limescale from your kettle
Except with Coke , there is another way to remove limescale from your kettle .
- Pull it with vinegar and water
- Boil them
- Rinse out
30. Hard water stains
Have you problem with hard water stains ?
water & vinegar :
31. Clean your coffee maker
We love nothing more than a good cup of coffee , but not a good cup of mold . People don’t consider their coffee maker a hot bed for bacteria and mold , but it totally is .
Hot water isn’t enough to get this gunk out . The most effective way to clean your coffee maker is the magic ingredient vinegar , which removes the mineral buildup from tap water . A coffee maker that’s used daily should be decalcified about once per month in hard water areas and every two to three months in soft water areas .
- Fill the coffee maker’s water chamber with equal parts of white vinegar and water . The precise amounts will vary depending on the size of your coffee maker, but make roughly enough to fill the reservoir
- Use a paper filter to allow it to brew until half the chamber is empty
- Turn the coffee maker off and let it sit for 30 minutes . This will give the vinegar time to sit in the machine and clean out any mold .
- Fill your coffee pot with clean water . Pour this into the reservoir and run a complete brew cycle
- When it’s done, pour the water out and run one more brew cycle with clean water . This should clean any vinegar out of your coffee maker .
- Rinse the machine by using a new paper filter to brew a pot of clear water
- Fill the carafe with warm, sudsy water and some rice as a gentle abrasive
- Swirl the mixture in the pot
- Then use a scrubber sponge to remove any gunk
- Wipe the outside of the machine with a damp cloth
32. Smoother , cleaner steam ironing
Does your steam iron leave ugly brown stains on your clothes ? Does the scorched bottom of the iron plate stick to fabric when you’re ironing ? Vinegar can help with that .
How to unclog your steam iron?
- To unclog your steam iron , pour equal amounts of white distilled vinegar and water into the iron’s water chamber . Turn to the “steam” setting and iron a soft rag to clean out the steam ports . Leave the iron on for 5 minutes in an upright position . Then unplug and allow it to cool . Empty the water to remove any loose particles . Repeat the process with clear water , then thoroughly rinse out the inside of your iron .
How to clean scorched iron plate?
- To clean a scorched iron plate , heat equal parts of white distilled vinegar and salt in a small pan . Rubbing this solution onto the cooled iron surface should remove dark or burned areas .
33. Cleanliness for your baby
To wipe down toys with chemical cleaners means your baby might be sucking off chemical residue . Swap it out for vinegar .
- Disinfect and clean baby toys by adding a good-sized amount of white distilled vinegar to warm , soapy water . Clean the toys thoroughly . You can use an old toothbrush for those hard-to-reach places . Rinse with clear water and dry. Vinyl baby books and larger toys can be wiped clean with distilled vinegar on a damp cloth . Toys are always in the mouths of babies and toddlers , so clean them frequently .
34. How to easy restore sparkle to gold
Cleaning gold jewelry with vinegar :
- Pour vinegar into a small jar
- drop in your gold jewelry and twist the lid tightly shut
- Let the items soak for 15 to 20 minutes
- Shake the jar gently for a few seconds
- Remove each piece of jewelry and scrub carefully with a soft toothbrush
- Rinse under hot water. Repeat if there’s sludge under the stone
- Dry with a clean, soft cloth.
The final results should be sparkling!
35. Freshen stinky shoes
For shoes that smell brand new , just soak the insoles in warm water and a bit of vinegar before letting them dry completely .
36. Stave off mouth germs
Clean toothbrushes and retainers by soaking in vinegar and rinsing with water .
37. Remove wrinkles without ironing
- In a spray bottle combine 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water
- Spray and wait
- The wrinkles will evaporate
38. Improve fingernails
Soak fingertips in white vinegar for 5 minutes once a week to strengthen nails and soften cuticles .
39. Make your laundry freshen up
Soften carefully with vinegar :
Avoid using liquid fabric softener in the washing machine , as some people have experienced a buildup of “gunk” from its use . Vinegar is said to be a natural fabric softener . If you do use store-bought fabric softener , dilute the mixture with water before adding it to the machine , and realize that the softener can make laundry harder to dry .
WD-40 – assistant 6
40. Chewing gum on your carpet
WD-40 helps you for your carpet cleaning :
- All you have to do if you have a bubble gum on the carpet is to spray it with WD-40 , wipe , spray again and wipe the rest .
41. Clean fulmaster
42. Fulmaster on your leather coach
WD-40 again :
43. Pencil on the walls – no problem
WD-40 – spray & wipe :
44. Marker – Calm Down!
The same – spray & wipe . Fast and easy !
VODKA – assistant 4
45. Clean your sink with vodka
46. Clean your glasses with vodka
47. Remove sticky label
48. Remove bandage easy from skin
49. Got a dirty sofa
50. Pay attention to your health
- put your damp sponge in the microwave for two minutes to kill germs.
Most important of all is your health !!!
Cleanliness is in the first place . Clean and disinfect your home and your environment to be healthy, because to take care of your home to be clean means to take care of your body to be healthy and it’s the only place you have to live in.